Today’s Mobile Consumers: Five Things Law Firms Need To Know
Think about the last time you saw a large group of people. Maybe they were in an elevator. Or waiting for a taxi. Or in line at a movie theater. Many of them probably had their noses glued to their smartphones.
Some were texting, posting to Facebook or using Snapchat apps. Others were likely searching the Web via a mobile browser. This is noteworthy because, for the first time ever in November 2014, mobile searches on Google surpassed desktop searches, marking a turning point in the way of mobile search dominance.
Given how mobile adoption is still skyrocketing, you can assume that figure will continue to climb. It’s also safe to assume mobile users use their devices to search for law firms.
How can your firm capitalize on that? It starts with a thorough understanding of today’s mobile consumer. Here are five traits you need to know about them.
1. As the name implies, they’re mobile
Most mobile owners carry their devices everywhere they go. And given the convenience of features like Siri or Cortana, many users search while they’re literally on the go.
- Key takeaways for law firms: Make it easy for mobile searchers to contact you. Ensure your contact forms are concise and user-friendly. Provide tap-to-call and tap-to-email buttons to offer mobile surfers with one-touch access to your firm.
2. They expect your site to be mobile-friendly
The truth lies in a recent Google study: 72 percent of mobile users say it’s important that websites are optimized for mobile use. What happens if your site isn’t mobile-friendly? Nearly 80 percent will look for another site that is.
- Key takeaway for law firms: Follow the advice of the now-common mantra and “Think Mobile First.” If you don’t have a mobile-ready website, there’s a good chance you’re losing prospects.
3.They’re looking for local results
50 percent of all mobile searches are conducted in the hopes of finding local results, and 61 percent of those searches result in a purchase. (source)
- Key takeaway for law firms: Targeting the mobile market means targeting clients who are closer than you might think.
4. They’re not limited to one device
More insight from Google: Americans use an average of three screen combinations per day. In short, we might love our mobile devices, but we haven’t abandoned desktops and laptops (yet) — or our TVs, for that matter.
- Key takeaway for law firms: Make sure your site uses responsive design, which instantly adapts a website to display the layout that’s best suited for an individual user’s device.
5. They love video
Several recent studies by Google and the Interactive Advertising Bureau have found that three-fourths of smartphone owners use their devices to view online video.
- Key takeaways for law firms: Don’t neglect video as part of your marketing mix. It’s a powerful way to communicate your personality and speak directly to a potential client’s concerns. Just be sure to make your video Apple device-friendly (see Point #3 above) and take additional steps to ensure it’s done with quality in mind.
The future is now when it comes to mobile. Make sure your firm has a website that meets the expectations of today’s mobile consumer. Our expert designers will work with you to ensure that your visitors can contact you easily and efficiently via email, telephone, mobile devices — all under your control.
As legal consumers’ approaches to finding, learning about, and hiring an attorney evolve – so must your firm’s approach.
Running your solo firm can be challenging. Our industry experts discuss these challenges and answer your questions on how to improve your firm’s marketing.
Good online content doesn’t just happen. To get and keep the attention of potential clients and search engines, attorneys must be strategic.