We continue our Friday round-up of what is newest, best and brightest at FindLaw.com. Below, you will find this week’s offerings from various areas of FindLaw’s unique content, including: core legal content, blogs, news and case law. Take a look at what’s new:
- Barry Bonds’ perjury trial began this week in San Francisco. Though steroids have played a prominent part in the slugger’s legal history, he is not actually being prosecuted for illegal drug use. He is being prosecuted for lying under oath. FindLaw’s Blotter breaks down what constitutes perjury and how it is proven.
- Selecting a Barry Bonds Jury Won’t be Easy: FindLaw’s Tarnished Twenty takes a look at the fascinating process of jury selection and how difficult it is to find jurors with no bias toward a well-loved San Francisco baseball player.
- Workplace Retaliation: Court Makes It Easier to Sue Employers: FindLaw’s Decided dissects an important Supreme Court employment law case. In Kasten v. Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics Corp., the Supreme Court ruled that, under the Fair Labor Standards Act, workplace retaliation is illegal should an employee file a written or an oral complaint. Indeed, almost every employee protection law in this country bars employer retaliation should you file a complaint.
- No Same-Sex Marriages During Prop. 8 Appeal: FindLaw’s Decided breaks down the ramifications of the Ninth Circuit declining to lift a stay to resume same-sex marriages in California. Plaintiffs’ attorneys had requested that the court lift the stay, making way for marriages to resume. The Ninth Circuit declined to do so, and it seems as though same-sex marriages won’t be resuming for quite some time.
- Food Poisoning and the Law: No one ever wants to be a victim of food poisoning, but it happens consistently all across the country. Did you know that in many cases there are legal options you can take? Learn About The Law breaks down looks at some of the legal protections afforded consumers who fall experience food poisoning.
— Compiled by Adam Ramirez, FindLaw Portal Team